Granna Judy Meets Dear Jane (R)

A chronicle of my Dear Jane (R) journey

Name:
Location: upstate New York, United States

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

TR1: Spanish Moss . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .


Triangle accomplished! Pretty amazing!! I was really intimidated by the thought of doing a triangle, but it's done and it's pretty much right. This was a nice easy one to start with, and that helps.
I checked all the tip information I had for it before I started, and everything I came across seemed to indicate paper-piecing. (Did they even HAVE paper-piecing when Jane did hers?) Anyway, that seemed like overkill to me, so I did it my own way -- measured the stripes and added 1/4" seam allowances on both sides, then cut a bunch of strips the right size (3/4" and 7/8"). Then I just used the picture (printed from the official DJ Software) to judge how long to make the dark stripes and how much background to put on the ends of them. I had to kind of guess how much longer to make them to allow for the 1/4" seam allowance all around, but I got lucky and left just enough.


I don't know how I'd have managed without the official DJ Rulers. The 5" square is helpful enough, but the triangle ruler is invaluable! I would still be fussing over the trimming if it weren't for that ruler.
I see now that I look at the back (wouldn't you think I'd look before I scan it?) that I folded one of the seam allowances the wrong way and caught it in another seam. Oh well!
I do have a question, though. I"m hand-piecing, and I'm using a "cut it big and whack it off" style. That means some of my thread-startings and thread-endings are going to be cut off when I trim to size. If I were working on a sewing machine I wouldn't worry about that, but with hand-piecing I wonder if there's something else I have to do. Guess I'll ask my fellow Janers.
Oh! And one more exciting thing: I am now listed on the www.janiac.com website! It links back to this blog. I think there are five Janers named Judy -- I'm the Judy C. Very cool!! The problem with all this is that I'm having so much fun, not much else is getting done in the evenings -- I really need to think about Christmas and other things, and not just sit and piece blocks and triangles. Well, maybe soon . . . .
On to the next triangle -- hooray!

Judy-Jane in upstate NY
Humility Jane, 8-1-0-172

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home